Wednesday, December 28, 2011

And Some More From Rides on Monmouth

          Several years ago my friend Paul Geiger contacted me and asked me to help him produce his feature film directorial debut. My schedule at the time was crazy but I managed to work things out for the six weeks of pre-production and four weeks of production (with a week a couple months later for some pick-ups).
          Having grown up on the west side of Cincinnati, Paul decided to set the story of a young man down on his luck who is unwittingly drawn into crime and, eventually, murder, in Newport. As we talked it became evident that to get the look Paul wanted we needed to shoot as much of the film as possible in Newport.

          Everyone in the city and its county were very helpful. Everything you could imagine us needing, from locations to permissions to even catering, was made available to us. In fact, one of the main locations, a strip club whose owner is the one who sucks the hero into this mess, was seen as our most difficult location to find. In the end it wasn't. When we went looking we discovered that a quaint little club called Trixie Delights' had been raided and shut down three months earlier for illegal drugs and prostitution. It was sitting empty and the county judge, the court judge who ordered it closed, the sheriff's department and the owners of the building were more than happy to let us move in and take it over, if only for a couple of months. I will say that it was quite an adventure going into that club the first time and seeing the mess that was left following the raid. I felt as though I needed to wear a body condom. It just didn't feel clean.
         Overall the shoot went well and featured a great old classic Cadillac that actually belongs to Paul's father. And that, my friends, is my car tie in to this bit of Newport memory. Hope you enjoy the pictures of the great cars from this very amazing show.








        

No comments:

Post a Comment