Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Drumming Up Support


The Glen Este Classic Car Show at Glen Este High School was a huge success this year. While admission to check out the cars is free, donations are accepted as all proceeds go to help the Glen Este band programs.
I must admit that I have something of a vested interest in this as my nephew, just finishing up his first year at Glen Este Middle School, is now involved in this musical program. He plays the drums. Naturally a boy who wants to beat on things. And he is pretty good at it.
A ton of research shows that kids who are involved in music score higher on standardized tests and tend to have higher scores all the way around. They also have a good social life. “One time, at band camp…..”
All of my kids were involved in music throughout their school careers. My oldest was even courted by the famous Ohio State Marching Band as he was an excellent tuba player. They wanted him to “dot the I.” Along with my daughter and other son, my kids have had the opportunity to travel and perform all over, including Carnegie Hall, Washington, DC and Orlando, FL. In my book, supporting school musical programs is always a good endeavor. 




No comments:

Post a Comment