Friday, October 21, 2022

There Were Bugs and Beetles At the Pumpkin Run

When I was in high school my brother was in a minor accident where he was caught between a pick up truck and an 18 wheeler while driving on I-75. The only part of the Volkswagen Beetle that was really damaged was the body and a bit of the engine. He had learned to drive in that car as I had I (well sort of, we had both been driving for several years before we were eligible for our licenses) and so my brother found a place with fiberglass body parts that weren't quite stock. There was a chopped off rear end, a "smooshed" front end, flared fenders. We got heavy duty shocks and rebuilt the engine with the exhaust sticking not down low but pointing to the sky. It looked very much like the VW Bug seen here (except it was forest green). We did some serious off roading in that car. The one in the photo is from the 46th Annual Pumpkin Run Nationals along with other Volkswagens of various stripes. Here are some of them. And yes, the Cobra is a kit car built on a VW frame.






No comments:

Post a Comment