Sunday, May 1, 2011

Another Car Blog


                Seven years ago my daughter was part of the first Anderson Township 4th of July parade and so, being the “perfect” dad I went up to watch her and the other cheerleaders show their pride. My son, then 11, came along with me. Following the parade there were a number of other activities, including a classic car show.
            Josh became hooked that day, walking from car to car and looking gape mouthed at these “ancient” vehicles from the 1950s and beyond. It was a good show, not a great one. There were plenty of cars there but I had not come prepared with my camera. This, as it turned out, was very unfortunate.
            One car was unlike anything else showing that day. It was, if memory serves me right, a 2002 Morgan Roadster which sported a very unique look to any of the other cars in the show.
            Rightfully the car really pulled at Josh’s attention. He was “ooing” and “ahing” over it and telling me how cool it looked. As is the case with just about everyone who shows their car, the owner came over and was more than happy to answer all of Josh’s questions. Finally, after several questions the guy leaned in close to Josh and said, “You know, there’s really only one way to really see this car.” Josh was curious and his eyes lit up with the obvious question. The owner proceeded to open the driver’s side door and motion Josh into the driver’s seat.
            I regretted not having a camera that day as it was a priceless photo. Josh was grinning with eyes wide in awe of sitting in this amazing machine. Not merely sitting but sitting in the driver’s seat.
            After a couple of minutes he climbed out. I thanked the guy, probably grinning as much as Josh had. Josh turned and thanked him as well and then added, “That’s the car I want to take my driver’s test in.” Everyone around laughed.
            Well Josh didn’t take his driver’s test in a Morgan, it was a Volvo. But since that day in 2005 we’ve made it a habit of going to as many car shows as we could, looking at the beautiful works of art that once regularly rolled down out city streets. With the advent of the 2011 car show season, we decided to start up a blog just for our own fun. Our plan is to go to the shows, pick out some cars that really strike us and post a little about them; as well as a bunch of pictures.
            What’s fun is that we each have our favorite cars, the ones we tend to gravitate toward more when we see them. Josh is a muscle car man. He loves those late 60s, early 70s power monsters. He has a special place for the early Mustangs and Chargers though just about anything from that era are what he talks about, and probably wishes for, the most.
            Me, I’m all over the place. I’m partial to the late 50s to early 60s cars. Hey, being born in 1956 these are the cars I really first remember from my childhood. I love the ’58-’63 Vettes. There’s just something about their look that sends a little thrill up my spine.
            But any car that is put together, beautiful, or unique, will grab my attention. I love seeing something different sitting at a car show. To see some foreign car or a 30s truck or something someone has chopped together will usually turn my head.
            It could be a paint job or something that is totally original, a window sticker with a ridiculous price by today’s standards or just a kick ass looking three year old car that will grab us and have us talking.
            With the help of the amazing Show and Shine calendar which lists so may cruise ins, car shows and swaps throughout the region, we’re going to try to hit as many car shows this year as we can and find some of the coolest cars out there. What we find we’ll post them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment